Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Why Hair?


I choose this topic because it is something I find very interesting and I enjoy doing and learning about. Even though it looks pretty simple it's actually more complicated than it looks. Hair for me is a passion as for many others.

I started braiding when I was eight years old. No one taught me I just watched and learned. I had many doll heads to practice on. As I got older I got into doing different types of hair besides braids. I began washing and setting. I learned to use the "hot comb" which is an iron comb that you put over the stove fire, when it gets hot you remove it and comb through your hair to make it straight. It took many tries and burns to get it correct.

When I was thirteen years old I began to assist my aunt at her hair salon. I was too young to be working on the pay roll, but I had the skills. Today there are a lot of young women/men who pick up on skills or have skills at a very early age. I learned a lot from being around actual licensed hair stylist, who not only makes money but gets joy out of making people look and feel better about themselves. Since then I have been watching and learning styles, going to hair shows, conventions and competitions, and doing hair as a stylist myself.



A lot of my experience comes from a great team of hair stylist which can be found at Time Hair Gallery (http://www.timehairgallery.com/). With them they make the learning experience fun but very pressuring. They show you a demonstration once, then your on your own, either your going to get it right or get it wrong. Nine times out of ten you would want to get it right. Hair is a skill that takes time, you have to pay attention, and you have to have creativity and patience. I am working towards mastering my skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment